Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Lent Project

"What are you giving up for Lent?"

Every year, around this time, this question pops up like clock-work. Lent is a time of sacrifice- 40 days to be exact. And, although some traditions allow a weekend break in fasting, I've always practiced restraint from Ash Wednesday until Easter morning. Although I do not practice Catholicism (I was raised on this faith), I do believe that this is a powerful way to strengthen my Christianity.

This year, however, I've decided to take a different approach to the term give. That is, I'm going to show my appreciation for Christ's sacrifice by sharing His word. Are you wondering where the sacrifice is? Well, how often do you share your faith with your close circle of friends? Now think, how often do you share your faith with the world. I'm not wearing jewelry representing Christ's sacrifice, I'm vocalizing it. I'm not texting scriptures, I'm posting them on social networks.

I am making my personal journey public. It's a test I'm both nervous and excited to succeed in.

With the recent Tsunami in Japan, and several other worldly conflicts in full swing, I know that there is a great need of faith. "Apart from faith, we have no hope in life." This is my Lent project- to give a part of me that is also yours.

So, what are you giving up for Lent?

Life Application Bible, NIV: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc, 1991, pg 2025.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

No comments:

Post a Comment